Recently a listener asked me about my journey into full time blogging, and I wanted to expand on my answers in a podcast episode, as it’s a question that gets raised a lot. Charlotte asked:
“When did you make the transition from blogging being just a hobby to blogging as a profitable business? What was the turning point for you and/or what were the major changes you made to get where you are now?”
I thought I’d share the things that happened when I went full time. Though initially I started blogging as a hobby, I quickly found myself spending more and more time experimenting, creating content, interacting with readers, and learning about this new media.
It soon became apparent that I was going to have to earn some money to fund my new “habit”, and when I had been blogging for about a year I started dabbling with AdSense and Amazon ads.
After another year of making part-time cash, things started to escalate and it was time to make the leap into full time blogging.
7 Ways I Knew I Was Ready to Go Full Time
There is never really a right time to go full time, it’s always somewhat of a leap of faith, but in this episode I talk about the things that helped convince me it was now or never:
- At what point I believed my traffic was enough
- A mindset shift I had around readers and their needs, which helped me write the right content
- Treating my blog like a business and being proactive about making money
- Income streams and which ones worked best
- Working with other bloggers and how that helped grow my traffic
- Creating and selling products
- My thoughts around long-term strategy rather than short-term gain
So while going full time wasn’t an easy task, there certainly were things that made it smoother. Everybody’s tipping point will be different, as will their motivation. But these are the things that worked for me and I hope they help you along your own full time blogging journey.
- Can You REALLY Make Money Blogging? [7 Things I Know About Making Money from Blogging]
- How to Make Money Blogging
- Theme Week: Make Money on Your Blog by Partnering with Brands
- Make Money Blogging: Start the New Year by Increasing Your Income Streams
- Start The New Year off Right with Jeff Goins’ Three Secrets to Full Time Blogging
The post 7 Tips to Help You on Your Way to Blogging Full Time appeared first on ProBlogger.
- A Simple Exercise to Help You Write Effective Sales Copy
- How to Create a Bridge Business That Will Take You From Now to Your Dream Job
- 3 Foolproof Ways to Ruin Your Conversion Rate