While adequate serves of kale and spinach are good for our health, our busy lives can make it difficult to get these serves in – a good-quality green supplement can help to address depleted nutrient levels, which can wreak havoc on our mental functioning, training performance and sleep.
Just remember: they are meant to supplement a well-rounded, nutritious diet, not replace it.
1. Immunity and health: Rich in vitamins and minerals, consuming a green supp will help you to reach your recommended daily nutrient intake and assist in meeting your body’s micronutrient needs. Because of the high level of micronutrients and antioxidants found in greens, these immune-boosting properties help to ward off colds and reduce inflammation. More complex green supps also contain probiotics to help the detoxification process and to promote good gut flora and gut health.
2. Alkalising: Greens help to keep the body in an alkaline state. When the body becomes too acidic, it’s easier for inflammation to occur, which in turn increases the risk of illnesses such as heart disease, arthritis and even cancer. You might be consuming milk and meat products post-workout to keep your body fuelled and to aid recovery, but they are also acid-producing. High stress levels and sugar consumption can also contribute, so alkalising greens can assist to offset this. The chlorophyll in leafy greens will help to restore your body’s pH level and maintain a more alkaline state.
3. Metabolism boosting: A healthy metabolism equals a healthy weight. When greens are consumed with a portion of protein and fats, they can help to absorb carbs more steadily into the bloodstream and assist in using them as a form of energy rather than stored as fat. The greens provide a source of complex carbohydrates and help to stabilise your blood sugar levels. For example, have a green smoothie with your serve of good fats and lean protein to help with the absorption process.
4. Rich in antioxidants: Antioxidants help to neutralise harmful free radicals in the body that can get in the way of cell functioning and growth, and they help to counter the natural aging process. Consuming a diet rich in antioxidants can improve your internal health and help to smooth the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and assist with skin dryness. And luckily, chlorophyll and phytochemicals found in greens are rich in antioxidants.
5. Convenience: The average adult needs 5-6 serves of vegies per day. If you’re travelling or are on the go it can be difficult to eat a vegie-packed meal three times a day, so getting your extra serve of vegies via a green supp is handy. It’s much easier to throw some green powder into a tasty smoothie than to prepare a chicken and veg salad or stir-fry.
Our pick? Take your greens to the next level with Vital Greens. It’s a naturopath-developed, all-in-one, vegan, total daily supplement that’s dairy, gluten and wheat free. It’s made with 78 vital ingredients including detoxing herbs, alkalising superfoods, vitamins and minerals, protein, plus 14 billion probiotics. Trial it for yourself: Just two teaspoons per day for 10 days.